

First of all, I don't agree with genetically altering our kids to fulfill our likes and dislikes. I definitely think that it's "Mother Nature's way" to not know what our kids' eye color, hair color, or skin tone is going to be. Of course, everyone that has kids wants their kids to have strong immune systems, and be at a lower risk for diseases, but should that really be the decision of the parents? This is natures way of filtering mankind. Diseases are ever-changing, therefore, scientists may never have a firm grasp on genetically altering babies to be immune to all diseases.
If "designer babies" comes about, there will be many issues arising from this idea. Is this ethical? Gregory Stock says, "The idea that natural selection will produce a super-man or super-animal of any sort is an unobtainable myth." (634) I think that if people start ordering their babies and choosing traits, every person is going to look the same, act the same, and none are going to have their own predispositions. There are going to be the parents that want their son to be the best at football, run the fastest, be very smart and get good grades, have dark hair, blue eyes, and pretty much be perfect. How boring is that?
I don't think just because we are coming up with more technology, that we need to start toying with everything, including genetics and especially cloning (which is a whole other subject).
Links:
http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/13063/page2/
No comments:
Post a Comment