Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Library of Babel



(When I first started reading about Borges Library, it reminded me of when I watched one of the Harry Potter movies and the inside of where Harry lived. You can see all of the different floors, and the building seems endless.)

Borges writes in a very different way than the other essays we have read so far. He writes in very detailed sentences, sometimes hard to follow. The Library that he describes in the first few paragraphs is so elaborate, it's kind of hard to picture in my mind. All of the essays so far has to deal with the human race and its destiny.
In the The Library of Babel, Borges speaks of the original manuscript that was used and how it only had letters, spaces and a limited number of commas and periods. During that time it wasn't uncommon for that type of writing to be used but now-a-days, since we have a whole different way of writing, it's weird to try to think about what it would be like to only have 23 letters. In one book that Borges writes about, only three letters were used, M, C, and V. These three letters were used in the same order throughout the many pages of the book, but they had different meanings on different pages/lines. How can that be? I look at those 3 letters and they don't mean anything to me, only if they were used in a word, or someone's initials perhaps. It's very fascinating how these letters are perceived back then, compared to this day and age.
Borges mentioned that some people moved to "eliminate all worthless books" (Borges 116). He then says that no book is worthless, and all are "irreplaceable". I'm not much of a reader myself, I don't usually pick up a book from the Library to read for the fun of it, but I do agree that no book should be forgotten about just because it is not as well-written or well-known as others.
After reading this whole essay that Borges wrote, I didn't really understand it thoroughly until the last two paragraphs. In these two parts he concludes the whole piece in words that I can actually make sense of. Epidemics have killed many humans, whether in hundreds of thousands at once to only hundreds at once, but I believe that epidemics happen for a reason. That reason comes down to the theory of "survival of the fittest" and to thin out the human population because we are overpopulated. "The same volumes are repeated in the same disorder" (Borges 118), our world will repeat itself over and over again, and even though the human species, "the only species" (Borges 118), may become extinct, there will always be history of our human race on the planet Earth, just like the Library Borges described.

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthography

No comments:

Post a Comment